Friday 25 April 2008

Work In Progress - The Update

I've managed to get a fair bit done, and its starting to look a bit more like a semi-decent web page. The bare bones are certainly there. I still need to fill in the gaps caused by the huge amount of modularity going on, and it would be nice to add some subtle graphic wankery like rounded corners here and there, but I'm really not sure I can be bothered...after all, this is a site that's supposed to look after itself.

At the moment it only really works in moderately high resolution screens. I'll do some work on sorting out a separate style sheet for mid resolution (1024x768) and shockingly low resolution (800x600 and below) over the weekend. The mid-res one is fairly key, as my laptop works at that res, so rest assured that I'll be making it fully readable. I may have shot myself in the foot a bit using such a small font, but worst case I'll turn up the brutality of the string-length limiters in place.

It was quite a good laugh to find out that I can post directly here from my mobile phone...one of the side benefits to using a large scale site as your back end. Not sure how much I'll be using that, and it did take a couple of hours to appear, however it does give me the option of snapping a picture, and sending it off with a bit of prose for the world to see...

This is the first time I've really done any work specifically concentrating on making a website viewable in both IE and FireFox...previously I've been lazy and done IE only. This was in a large part down to the fact I horrendously abused tables for layout purposes. This site is driven entirely off 'divs' and 'spans', and a healthy shitload of CSS in the background. It's been tricky, and I've had to make a lot of use of HTML validators to ensure that I got all the tricky bits right (my personal favourite being 'divs' within 'a' tags, which puts FireFox in a right tizzy...). Hiding behind the HTML are a handful of PHP scripts doing specific tweaks to the various feeds coming in, and right at the back is a function module by the guy who wrote Boastology, which my old site ran off. That does all the complex stuff with XML and RSS, so I'm just left with some cleanup and layout work, which makes everything nice and simple!

Right...off to bed for me, after all...it's a school night...

No comments: